Follow the Dave Campbell's Texas Football college news tracker for news and updates from all 47 college football teams in Texas.
Aug. 23, 2021
- Texas State named Brady McBride its starting quarterback for the season opener against Baylor. McBride, a Coppell product, threw for 1,925 yards, 17 touchdowns and seven interceptions in his first year with the Bobcats. In his last three games, McBride completed 70.2 percent of his passes for 800 yards, 8 touchdowns, zero interceptions and 9.5 yards per pass attempt. The Bobcats are searching for their first bowl appearance since moving up to FBS football.
- UTEP football announced that its matchup against UAB has been moved back a day to 11 a.m. CT on Black Friday in Birmingham. The game will be streamed on both ESPN3 and ESPN+.
Aug. 18, 2021
- UTSA Roadrunners quarterback Jordan Weeks has entered the transfer portal, according to a report from 247Sports. The Wimberly product played three years at UTSA, and started three games in 2019. He completed 73-of-151 passes for 766 yards, three touchdowns and four touchdowns in nine appearances. Weeks projected as the fourth-string quarterback heading into 2021.
Aug. 10, 2021
- Both Texas and Texas A&M were ranked in the first version of the USA Today AFCA Coaches Poll on Tuesday. The Aggies ranked No. 6 and third among SEC teams. Texas starts the year at No. 19, behind just Oklahoma and No. 8 Iowa State in the Big 12. Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, Ohio State and Georgia rounded out the top five teams in the nation. Alabama received 63 of the 65 first place votes in the poll. Oklahoma received the only other first place votes. Click here to see the full preseason poll.
Aug. 9, 2021
- Houston Cougars running back Terrell Brown has entered the transfer portal, according to a report from 247Sports. Brown, a native of Harvey, La., carried the ball 14 times in his first two seasons as a Cougar. Brown picked Houston over Power Five offers from Arkansas and Florida, but also had opportunities at in-state schools Texas State and UTSA. Houston is deep at the position with experienced rushers Mulbah Car and Ta'Zhawn Henry leading the way.
Aug. 6, 2021
- Texas State added another Power Five defensive transfer in former Illinois defensive end Anthony Shipton, according to the Statesman. The junior played two years at Cerritos Junior College before joining the Illini last season. He did not accumulate any stats. Shipton, listed at 6-foot-4 and 270 pounds, should factor into the defensive line rotation next to mainstays Caeveon Patton and Nico Ezidore. Shipton is Texas State's 20th transfer addition of the offseason, including 12 from the Power Five level.
Aug. 5, 2021
- Texas Tech tight end John Holcomb will retire from football due to injuries. The Wellington product was a member of the class of 2020 and caught six passes as a true freshman. Additionally, defensive lineman Gilbert Ibeneme has torn his triceps, his third major injury in three years at Texas Tech. The sophomore will miss the entire 2021 season.
July 30, 2021
- The NCAA announced on Friday that it will convene a special constitutional convention in November to "reimagine aspects of college sports." The announcement comes just weeks after the introduction of Name, Image and Likeness legislation that rendered much of the NCAA's role in college athletics moot. The convention is expected to discuss what role the NCAA should play in oversight of college athletics long term. A vote on a revised constitution – which will be drafted by players, coaches, administrators and university presidents – could come in January 2022.
- Texas State Bobcats added a transfer commitment from Georgia Southern DE Jordan Mitchell, ranked the No. 68 defensive end in the class of 2020. Mitchell posted two tackles for loss as a true freshman and has four years of eligibility remaining. Mitchell is the 18th four-year college transfer for Jake Spavital's Bobcats. Texas State added just two high school players in the 2021 recruiting class.
July 28, 2021
- WAC commissioner Jeff Hurd told Josh Criswell of the Huntsville Item that the WAC views nine football schools as an ideal number for the conference. The league is set to welcome in its seventh member – Southern Utah – in July 2022. The WAC must add at least one more playoff-eligible member by the 2022 season in order to guarantee an auto-bid to the FCS Playoffs – six eligible members are required, and both Tarleton and Dixie State are ineligible as transitioning members. Hurd is retiring at the end of the calendar year.
July 22, 2021
- UTSA Roadrunners earned a commitment from grad transfer defensive lineman Lamonte McDougle. The Floridian was a freshman All-American at West Virginia before transferring to Washington State. McDougle has two years of eligibility remaining and picked UTSA over Power Five opportunities. McDougle is a third high-profile defensive line transfer to join the Roadrunners. Tulane's Brandon Brown and Kansas State's Ronald Triplette will give UTSA tremendously more depth next to the proven Lorenzo Dantzler and Jaylon Haynes.
July 19, 2021
- Texas Tech Red Raiders added former Virginia Tech defensive end Robert Wooten, a native of Stafford. Wooten played in all 11 games for Virginia Tech as a true freshman and transfers with all four years of eligibility remaining, along with the possibility of a redshirt year. The Red Raiders recruited Wooten heavily out of high school and hosted him on one of his five official visits. Outside of high-profile transfer Tyler Shough, Wooten was the highest-rated high school recruit out of the Red Raiders' 10 transfers. DCTF rated Wooten the No. 6 defensive end in Texas in the class of 2020.
July 7, 2021
Texas State Bobcats have earned a commitment from Missouri defensive back transfer Chris Mills, a Converse Judson product. Mills played sparingly as a reserve over the past two seasons, and has up to three years of eligibility remaining in San Marcos. Texas State is taking 17 college transfers, three junior college transfers and two high school prospects in the class of 2021.
July 6, 2021
- UTSA Roadrunners quarterback Suddin Sapien has announced that he will transfer to the UTPB Falcons. Sapien did not throw a pass in two seasons on campus after picking the Roadrunners out of Midland. He will compete for the starting job in Odessa as the Falcons failed to settle on a starter between Clayton Roberts and Brayden Thomas during a breakout 5-0 spring season.
- Texas Longhorns wide receiver Jake Smith has announced he will transfer to USC. Smith rejoins several former coaches and teammates in Los Angeles, including RB Keaontay Ingram and defensive coordinator Todd Orlando. With Smith's departure, Texas is now losing three of its top four receivers.
- SMU Mustangs have added a commitment from Oregon linebacker transfer Isaac Slade-Matautia, who announced his decision on Instagram. Slade-Malautia posted 131 tackles, 12 tackles for loss and 2.5 sacks in 28 games, and led the Ducks in tackles during a strong 2020 season. He reunites with former DC Jim Leavitt at SMU.
July 2, 2021
- Baylor Bears added transfer wide receiver Hal Presley from Auburn, a member of the class of 2021. Presley was a longtime Baylor commit before decommitting and signing with Auburn. Presley ranked as the No. 56 overall player and No. 11 receiver in the 2021 DCTF rankings.