Follow the Dave Campbell's Texas Football college news tracker for news and updates from all 47 college football teams in Texas.
Aug. 5, 2021
- Texas Tech tight end John Holcomb will retire from football due to injuries. The Wellington product was a member of the class of 2020 and caught six passes as a true freshman. Additionally, defensive lineman Gilbert Ibeneme has torn his triceps, his third major injury in three years at Texas Tech. The sophomore will miss the entire 2021 season.
July 30, 2021
- The NCAA announced on Friday that it will convene a special constitutional convention in November to "reimagine aspects of college sports." The announcement comes just weeks after the introduction of Name, Image and Likeness legislation that rendered much of the NCAA's role in college athletics moot. The convention is expected to discuss what role the NCAA should play in oversight of college athletics long term. A vote on a revised constitution – which will be drafted by players, coaches, administrators and university presidents – could come in January 2022.
- Texas State Bobcats added a transfer commitment from Georgia Southern DE Jordan Mitchell, ranked the No. 68 defensive end in the class of 2020. Mitchell posted two tackles for loss as a true freshman and has four years of eligibility remaining. Mitchell is the 18th four-year college transfer for Jake Spavital's Bobcats. Texas State added just two high school players in the 2021 recruiting class.
July 28, 2021
- WAC commissioner Jeff Hurd told Josh Criswell of the Huntsville Item that the WAC views nine football schools as an ideal number for the conference. The league is set to welcome in its seventh member – Southern Utah – in July 2022. The WAC must add at least one more playoff-eligible member by the 2022 season in order to guarantee an auto-bid to the FCS Playoffs – six eligible members are required, and both Tarleton and Dixie State are ineligible as transitioning members. Hurd is retiring at the end of the calendar year.
July 22, 2021
- UTSA Roadrunners earned a commitment from grad transfer defensive lineman Lamonte McDougle. The Floridian was a freshman All-American at West Virginia before transferring to Washington State. McDougle has two years of eligibility remaining and picked UTSA over Power Five opportunities. McDougle is a third high-profile defensive line transfer to join the Roadrunners. Tulane's Brandon Brown and Kansas State's Ronald Triplette will give UTSA tremendously more depth next to the proven Lorenzo Dantzler and Jaylon Haynes.
July 19, 2021
- Texas Tech Red Raiders added former Virginia Tech defensive end Robert Wooten, a native of Stafford. Wooten played in all 11 games for Virginia Tech as a true freshman and transfers with all four years of eligibility remaining, along with the possibility of a redshirt year. The Red Raiders recruited Wooten heavily out of high school and hosted him on one of his five official visits. Outside of high-profile transfer Tyler Shough, Wooten was the highest-rated high school recruit out of the Red Raiders' 10 transfers. DCTF rated Wooten the No. 6 defensive end in Texas in the class of 2020.
July 7, 2021
Texas State Bobcats have earned a commitment from Missouri defensive back transfer Chris Mills, a Converse Judson product. Mills played sparingly as a reserve over the past two seasons, and has up to three years of eligibility remaining in San Marcos. Texas State is taking 17 college transfers, three junior college transfers and two high school prospects in the class of 2021.
July 6, 2021
- UTSA Roadrunners quarterback Suddin Sapien has announced that he will transfer to the UTPB Falcons. Sapien did not throw a pass in two seasons on campus after picking the Roadrunners out of Midland. He will compete for the starting job in Odessa as the Falcons failed to settle on a starter between Clayton Roberts and Brayden Thomas during a breakout 5-0 spring season.
- Texas Longhorns wide receiver Jake Smith has announced he will transfer to USC. Smith rejoins several former coaches and teammates in Los Angeles, including RB Keaontay Ingram and defensive coordinator Todd Orlando. With Smith's departure, Texas is now losing three of its top four receivers.
- SMU Mustangs have added a commitment from Oregon linebacker transfer Isaac Slade-Matautia, who announced his decision on Instagram. Slade-Malautia posted 131 tackles, 12 tackles for loss and 2.5 sacks in 28 games, and led the Ducks in tackles during a strong 2020 season. He reunites with former DC Jim Leavitt at SMU.
July 2, 2021
- Baylor Bears added transfer wide receiver Hal Presley from Auburn, a member of the class of 2021. Presley was a longtime Baylor commit before decommitting and signing with Auburn. Presley ranked as the No. 56 overall player and No. 11 receiver in the 2021 DCTF rankings.