A vacation is always nice, but the July 4th holiday always signals the start of football season to me. What better way to kick off football season than with fireworks and a celebration?
However, vacation also means a ton of unreported news from across the Non-FBS landscape, so let’s get to reporting.
- Sources have confirmed that Lamar has received a commitment from offensive lineman Thomas Le Boucher, who also held offers from UMass and Appalachian State. The Arizona State transfer is expected to be a key piece in the Cardinals' offensive line. A native of Saint-Augustin de Desmaures, Quebec, Le Boucher played at Independence CC before transferring to the Sun Devils.
- Former Texas Lutheran wide receiver Bryce Samuels announced on Twitter that he accepted a position as offensive quality control coach for Houston Christian.
- AthLinkd.net released its transfer class rankings for the Southland heading into the 2023 campaign.
- UIW has signed the most transfers during the offseason, according to Sam Herder of HEROSports. The Cardinals have signed 20 transfers, while Abilene Christian is tied for 10th most transfers (10).
- Dacorien (DC) Thompson announced his verbal commitment to Lamar. The 2024 defensive lineman was first-team All-District 3-6A for North Crowley last year.
- Texas A&M-Commerce announced enhanced game day initiatives for the Lions home games. Included in the initiatives are a new location for Tailgate while the former spot is under construction, a family fun zone, and a ‘West Side Club’ exclusive to members of the Lion Champions fund.
- UIW received a commitment from 2024 defensive lineman Jace Bardwell. The Flower Mound Marcus product also held offers from Texas A&M-Commerce, Grambling, and Georgetown.
Southwestern Athletic Conference
- Navarro defensive lineman Braelen Perry announced his commitment to Prairie View A&M.
- Former Arizona and Louisiana-Monroe linebacker Jackson Bailey announced his commitment to PVAMU. Bailey earned 5A All-State honors as a senior at Desoto.
- The Panthers also picked up a commitment from ULM wide receiver Coby Cavil. The Cedar Hill native recorded six receptions for 68 yards and a touchdown in seven games for the War Hawks in 2021.
- Texas Southern gained a commitment from 2023 Summer Creek High School tight end Kordell Rodgers.
- PVAMU was hot on the recruiting trail with a commitment from defensive lineman Darren Vasquez. The transfer from Golden West College earned 2nd team All-Conference honors last year.
- The Tigers landed a 2024 commitment in 3-star wide receiver Rickey Evans Jr from South Oak Cliff High School. Evans reportedly held offers from Grambling, Toledo, Marshall, Arkansas State, Texas State, and North Texas.
- Former Morehead State defensive lineman Davier Fairrow announced his commitment to PVAMU. Fairrow recorded 25 tackles, including eight tackles for loss, and 2.5 sacks during his three years at Morehead.
United Athletic Conference
- Tarleton announced Pepe Pearson, a former NFL running back with 22 years of collegiate coaching experience, will serve as the Texans running backs coach.
- The Rio Grande Valley has a hunger for college football, as evidenced by UTRGV reaching over 2,000 season ticket deposits in only six and a half months. Fans can reserve season tickets with a $25 deposit for the inaugural season of UTRGV football in 2025.
- The Vaqueros revealed three football helmets to be worn when UTRGV begins play in 2025. The white helmet has the school’s primary logo with orange UTRGV inside the state of Texas in a blue outline. The orange helmet has Vaqueros in script along the side, while the gray helmet has its ‘V logo’ on the side and the 956 area code above the facemask.
- Our thoughts and prayers to the family and friends of former Abilene Christian offensive lineman Kade Parmelly, who passed following a battle with cancer. Parmelly played four seasons at ACU before transferring to Duke for his COVID season.
- Stephen F. Austin earned a commitment from Franklin 2024 tight end Braden Smith, who has twice been selected first-team All-District 11-3A Division I. Smith also held an offer from UIW.
- Lumberjacks commit Gavin Rutherford from Cinco Ranch was named the 2022-2023 Katy ISD Male Student-Athlete of the Year. Rutherford was a standout on the gridiron with 7,450 yards and 72 touchdown passes, adding 11 home runs and 61 RBIs in baseball.
- Tarleton received a commitment from 2024 offensive lineman Antonio Heath. The Lyndhurst, Ohio native is listed at 6-foot-6, 325 pounds.
- AthLinkd.net released its transfer class rankings for the UAC heading into the 2023 campaign.
- Former Sacramento City College defensive lineman Mario Keanon announced his commitment to Tarleton. Keanon recorded 31 tackles and three sacks in 14 games with the Panthers.
Lone Star Conference
- Former New Mexico Military Institute offensive lineman Jessee Ah Chee announced his commitment on Twitter to West Texas A&M.
- The Buffs also added offensive lineman Franky McFadden to its roster. The Parker, Colo. native is transferring to WT from Nebraska-Kearney.
- Sources confirmed to DCTF that Amy Carlton is headed to the Lone Star Conference and will serve as associate commissioner. Carlton spent the last 16 years as the Commissioner for the American Southwest Conference. Interestingly, The ASC and the LSC are in the same office building.
- Midwestern State received a commitment from linebacker/edge Michael Gary. The transfer from College of the Sequoias recorded 75 tackles, 7 sacks, and 15 TFL during his two seasons.
- Yet another transfer from Nebraska-Kearney is headed to WT. Defensive lineman Grayson Blackmon also held offers from UTPB, Southeastern Oklahoma, Western Colorado, Quincy, and Black Hill State, among others.
American Southwest Conference
- The new Commissioner of the American Southwest Conference, David Flores, and I recently discussed some of the tough questions facing the conference. Flores spoke about the need for its members to remain calm.
- Hardin-Simmons has finalized its 2023 schedule by adding a road game in Massachusetts against Endicott. The Week 4 contest gives the Cowboys a full 10-game schedule with non-conference games against Albright in Week 1 and at Wisconsin-La Crosse in Week 2. HSU will have a bye in Week 3. The addition of Endicott is a quality opponent for the Cowboys. The Gulls were undefeated during the regular season last year en route to securing the Commonwealth Coast Conference title and a berth in the Division III playoffs.
- The Division III Championships Committee met at the end of June and approved the ASC’s request to have games against Sul Ross State defined as an in-region game as part of the selection criteria. The Lobos must remain compliant with D-III bylaws as an active member. The waiver was necessary, with SRSU expected to be accepted into Division II in mid-July.
- McMurry head coach Jordan Neal announced the addition of Broc Watkins to the War Hawks coaching staff. Watkins will serve as linebackers coach at McMurry after spending last year in a graduate assistant role at Texas A&M-Kingsville.
Sooner Athletic Conference
- Wayland Baptist head coach Marcos Hinojos Sr. announced the addition of Fred Howard to the Pioneers coaching staff. After serving as defensive coordinator at Monahans High School last season, Howard will serve as running backs coach and co-coordinator for WBU.
Southwestern Junior College Football Conference
This article is available to our Digital Subscribers.
Click "Subscribe Now" to see a list of subscription offers.
Already a Subscriber? Sign In to access this content.