I don’t know if you’ve stepped outside lately, but it sure feels like football weather. In reality, it feels more like the weather when Johnny had a fiddle competition in Georgia.
Football season is approaching fast, and the WAC, Southland, and SWAC are having media day this week, while the LSC will follow next week, and we will have notable information from each team in the Blitz over the next couple of weeks.
Western Athletic Conference
- The WAC released its Preseason Football Coaches Poll and awards. Not surprisingly, SFA was the overwhelming favorite to win the WAC this season, with Abilene Christian and Tarleton picked to finish second and third, respectively.
- The preseason poll release confirmed that Sam Houston would not be eligible to win the conference title this year as they are transitioning to FBS.
- Sam Houston received a commitment from P Nick Bruce from Dalby, Australia, as first reported by Katfans.com. Bruce is another in the pipeline of quality punters who have attended SHSU after training at Prokick Australia.
- The Bearkats announced road games against BYU in 2023 and UCF in 2024.
- The WAC announced a new conference schedule following the departures of Lamar and UIW. Click on the links to find schedules for Sam Houston, Abilene Christian, Stephen F. Austin, and Tarleton.
- Our college football insider, Mike Craven, has SHSU WR Ife Adeyi as No. 45 on The Lone Star 50, which features the 50 most important players in Texas.
- Craven and the rest of the Republic of Football Staff, Mallory Hartley and Ishmael Johnson discussed Lamar’s move back to the Southland and more conference realignment rumors last week.
- Abilene Christian picked up a commitment from WR Arthur Shaw, who had 798 yards and nine touchdowns receiving last season for Santa Ana College in the California Community College Athletic Association.
- The Southland announced its 2022 preseason All-Conference teams featuring 21 players from UIW and five players from Houston Baptist.
- The conference also released a new schedule for 2022 to include UIW and Lamar. Here are links to new schedules for Lamar, Texas A&M-Commerce, and Houston Baptist.
- Texas A&M-Commerce received a commitment from 2023 ATH Naszae Otieno. The Seguin High School product averaged 11.4 yards per rushing attempt and scored 14 total touchdowns last year.
- UIW announced the signing of LB Scooter Baker to the Cardinals 2022 recruiting class. The Jacksonville, Texas native led Southeastern Oklahoma State with 78 tackles last year.
- G.J. Kinne, UIW head coach, was named to Dave Campbell’s 40 Under 40. Kinne is preparing for his first season as a head coach after serving as co-offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at UCF last year.
- UIW DB Kaleb Culp sat down for an interview with TheBlueBloodsPod.com.
Southwestern Athletic Conference
- Prairie View A&M RB Jaden Stewart earns the No. 46 spot in our own Mike Craven’s The Lone Star 50, featuring the 50 most important players in Texas.
Lone Star Conference
- Texas A&M-Kingsville installed new turf on Pepsi Field at Javelina Stadium for the 2022 season. Click this link to see a video of the new turf.
- Midwestern State will be playing on new turf at Memorial Stadium this year after Wichita Falls ISD tabbed Paragon Sports Construction with the project.
American Southwest Conference
- Riley Zayas of TrueToTheCru.com posted a story chronicling Mary Hardin-Baylor QB Kyle King’s attendance at the Manning Passing Academy and his preparation for the 2022 season.
- McMurry announced the signing of Hidalgo DL Dustin Earhart and Arlington Bowie RB Marsaillus to the War Hawks 2022 recruiting class.
Southern Athletic Association
- Mike Forman, the sports editor for the Victoria Advocate, posted a video of Trinity coach Jerheme Urban’s expectations heading into the 2022 season.
Sooner Athletic Conference
- Former Wayland Baptist DE Billy Hatten was named Defensive Player of the Year in the Hungarian American Football League. Hatten has played for the Szombathely Crushers since 2019.
- Damond Talbot featured Texas Wesleyan DB Chance Carroll for a story posted to NFLDraftDiamonds.com.
- SAGU received a commitment from 2023 DB David Miller, who is preparing to compete in his senior year at Davenport High School.
Southwestern Junior College Football Conference
- Former Blinn WR Xavier Hutchinson was named to the Maxwell Award Watch List last week. The Maxwell Award is given annually to the best player in college football.
This article is available to our Digital Subscribers.
Click "Subscribe Now" to see a list of subscription offers.
Already a Subscriber? Sign In to access this content.