September 20, 2019
Frisco Reedy 35, Denison 32: In a game that would eventually decide the fourth and final playoff spot in District 7-5A Division II, Frisco Reedy raced out to a 21-5 halftime lead on the road and held off a furious fourth quarter rally from Denison to earn a massive win.
Denison was left thinking about what could have been as it had two first half redzone possessions that ended with no points, while Reedy got its ground game going in building up a halftime edge. After recovering a Reedy fumble to open the third, Denison climbed back into the game on a touchdown pass from Caleb Heavner to Kaelon Vaughn to make it 21-11.
Reedy would extend the lead to 28-11 later in the third as Jacob Smith scored on a 10-yard run. Denison would cut the lead to three later in the third when Lowellaus Bowman scored on a 32-yard run on 4th-and-1. Then, after a Reedy fumble, sophomore RB Jadarian Price scored on a nine-yard run to make it 28-25 heading to the fourth.
Jalen Kitna’s one-yard run early in the fourth extended Reedy’s lead to 35-25 before Heavner and Vaughn hooked up for the second time with a seven-yard touchdown pass with just over a minute left to cut the Reedy lead to 35-32.
Denison had a chance to recover the ensuing onside kick but after a couple of odd bounces the bsll ended up in the hands of Reedy's Will Harbour, who also had a big night on defense, ran for two TDs and kicked five extra points.
Denison, who later in the year defeated eventual district champion Frisco, was unable to overcome this loss and the Lions nabbed the final playoff spot.
Your subscription will include:
- Instant access to all of our content that is marked Insider at www.texasfootball.com.
- Includes exclusive podcasts, recruiting news, and our full High School Football rankings and score predictors
- A mailed copy of the Dave Campbell’s Texas Football Preview
- A mailed copy of the Recruiting/Rising Edition of Dave Campbell’s Texas Football
- Access to Dave Campbell’s Texas Football vast array of archived magazines